Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Words, Talk Like A Pirate Day, Zappa, and bad Bigfoot


Things, Things Things

Just paraphrase of hamlet there

“What does he write my lord “
“Words words words.”

This is why I don’t believe W reads all the damn books people say he reads. He never makes reference to them, never plays with the ideas they contain, never quotes anybody, and never even mentions the books in conversation. This is what people do when they read stuff. Or even watch movies. I think that 1/3 – ¼ of what I say is somehow linked to something I saw or something I read – hell I can still quote the opening paragraphs from Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas from memory.

“We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold”

I could go on from there but it’s not as impressive if I’m not saying it out loud.

Following up with my ‘why isn’t this on DVD’ comment from yesterday – I give you 200 Motels starring Frank Zappa (in a non speaking role) the Flow and Eddie era Mothers of Invention, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon and Theodore Bikle (who a friend of mine knew and who told him the shoot was ‘rather confused, nobody knew what was going on’) and some former members of the Mothers – most visibly Jimmy Carl Black (“I’m the Indian of the group.”)

It was Franks one shot at a studio film it was shot in 7 days under lousy conditions and makes no real sense except on some meta-dad level which isn’t about making sense anyway – and it isn’t on DVD. Apparently nobody has the slightest idea who has the 35 mm master (if it still exists) or who has the rights to it. Before he did Zappa managed to get the rights to a lot of his works back but not this one.

I honestly expect this will never show up. Too many folks who are greed heads want a beak full before the project could see the light of day.

Ah well.

On a brighter side – it’s talk like a pirate day ‘Arh Jim lad, avst ye blind pew tis me yer scurvy dog” and what not – it’s going to make that 2 pm meeting interesting.

Also I notice that almost everything has a skull and crossbones or at least a skull on it. I don’t think too much about such things but if designers are all coming up with this motif and people are buying it, the cultural zeitgeist has to be pretty damn gloomy yes?

Finished Loren Coleman’s Bigfoot Apes in America and now I’m eh. He postulates two kinds of hominids/apes running around America, One the Classic Bigfoot (with a smaller eastern cousin ) and a North American Ape, a smaller far more ape like creature – Loren thinks these (Boggy Creek Monster, Florida’s Skunk Ape) are actually real Ape Apes not possible hominids like Bigfoot/Yeti types – and indeed may be feral escaped apes.

I’m not all that convinced – again it’s the food supply thing – a 7 foot 500 plus pound animal would have to eat a hell of a lot and there isn’t enough easy to digest fruit and vegetable matter about – the huge herds of elk and caribou live on the plains and deer and such have special stomachs to break plants down – a bear is an omnivore and will eat anything sometimes just on the off chance that it’s food. I just don’t see how Sasquatch works as a live animal.

But there seem to be valid prints and the sightings mount and nobody’s really taken down the Patterson film – so I’m going with maybe. Not likely but maybe. Worth looking for by all means but don’t expect much.

Still there is one thing – on eye witness account in the book that I’d rather not have heard about. It covers a long series of contracts between one Bigfoot and a farm family – they came to just adjust to his comings and goings and left out apples for the Bigfoot to eat and the like.

On day the Bigfoot – I think they called him Kong was strolling around the farm. There was something different about him that day – per the witness he was, well, sporting a boner. Yes his Mister Happy was ready for action. The witness shooed him away from the house – well wouldn’t you? But he was still on the grounds. Then a while later she (I think the witness was a she) and her kids got in the car to get away for a while – she looked and saw that Kong was humping one of the cows.

You know I could have lived a long and happy life without the image of an aroused big foot boinking a cow banging around in my brain. Really. Didn’t need to have that image in my mind at all. Thanks Loren thanks ever so much. I’m never going to be able to get that out of my mind and now I know it will pop into my mind at the worst moment possible. I’ll be trying to make a point and the image of some hairy man beast banging away on a cow like there’s no tomorrow will be the only thing my brain will show me. It’s the way of these things.

Again Thanks a lot Loren.

Peace Love Arrrrr matey! Pass the rum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home