Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I hate my head pt 38 and King Kong Escapes & bootlegs.


More hating my head.

Yesterday was a nice piece of madness – heavy tension in the air and I was going around, blaming myself for things that weren’t my fault because it happened before I climbed on board. Not that that stopped my inner fault finder from well finding fault.

It’s not like this is really a good reaction to stress and pressure. It comes alas from long ago where I learned that it was more important that someone I get blamed than things actually get fixed and it was important that I be really sorry about it too.

Like I say I never ever have to wonder where my low self esteem comes from.

Bought a bootleg copy of King Kong Escapes – normally I don’t but in this case I was able to justify this by saying to myself mostly cause there is no way in heaven that this, the Japanese language version of this lame little minor Japanese Monster film is ever going to see the light of day – hell I’m still waiting for the Japanese language version of the original Mothra to show its face and that film is over 40 years old (might pop that one in tonight) just checked still not plan to issue the DVD of that one. Hey let’s not wait 50 years guys okay?

Anyway figuring that it will never show up in the U.S. – I bought the DVD and found, when I got home it was unplayable – well that’s another reason not to buy bootlegs yes?

I’ve noticed the bootlegs of current films are not as plentiful as they used to be. It used to be every block in the city had someone with a blanket spread out with copies of whatever the current box office hits were. I never bought them – not having the flimsy justification that I have with rare stuff like King Kong Escapes and also convinced I would have been ripped off (actually in my case I don’t think I was ripped so much that whoever did the video was a blithering incompetent) . I guess there was a crack down or people wised up on this.

I’m old enough (oh god am I old enough – well enough of that) to remember when bootleg records were of live performances or of stuff the artist or record company didn’t want to release (these are now known a bonus tracks but with the death of the CD as primary music provider they may fade away again).

I don’t understand – actually I really do – why these old films aren’t out on disk already – it’s money somebody has the rights and they want more money than a DVD company thinks it’s worth to issue – like well Mothra or King Kong Escapes (another reason I wanted the Japanese version was that there was no way the female lead’s voice in the original could be as annoying as the dubbed in voice that says ‘Kong!’ over and over in voice that makes you want to shove pointy steel things in your ears to make the hurting stop).

So many a film sits in limbo – there is a failure of basic capitalism here I think. There is a demand and a supply but since the demand (in dollars) isn’t high enough there is no supply – but perversely (per theory) there is no lowering of price.

And I’m I stuck with buying bootlegs that don't work.

Peace, Love, Kong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home