Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cloudy Days and Guilty Pleasures.











Another gloomy rainy day – ugh.

I’ve seen some really really ugly stuff about the events at Virginia Tech - several right wing bloggers have decided that one of the reasons that so many people died is that the students lacked courage. They have written odd disjointed musings over if a secular culture has drained our manhood or stopped having bible classes in public schools or what not.

While giving them the benefit of the doubt – they are as shocked by the horror as everybody else, they have retreated into a state of magical thinking as a way to push the pain away – ‘if I were there I’d have …etc.” that’s okay, it’s the hideous suggestions that the kids in Virginia were cowards because they didn’t rush the guy.

Like you know what the hell you would do in such a circumstance – I suspect, judging by the few times I’ve been confronted by real violence, just standing there mouth open in shock as it went down. Yeah I could flatter myself and think I’d do something brave, but more likely I’d end up a victim.

Meantime today – the head of the senate and house are going to visit the president who has said he will not negotiate with them over the spending bill. I suspect this is going to be a very short meeting.

W: DO! DO! DO! DO! ME! MY WAY! MUST DO!
Nancy P: Mr. President, if you could just stop jumping up and down on the desk for a moment.
Harry Reid: Yes, it’s not helpful
W: DO! DO! DO! MY WAY! NO LOSE! ME NO FAIL!
Nancy (to aide): is he always like this?
Aide: Most days these days, (sigh) I was hoping he could control himself for a few moments but alas that is not to be.
W: I DECIDER! I LEADER!
Adie: You’re an ape jumping up and down on a very expensive desk now sit down or I’ll call you mother in here.
Nancy: Mother? She’s in
Aide (quickly): Shhh. One of the Secret Service agents puts a wig and dress on. Trust me, sometimes it’s the only way.
Harry Reid: I can’t believe this.
W: ME! DECIDER! I DECIDE BOOM BOOM!
Nancy: Sir, the American people want a change in direction in Iraq.
W: BOOM! BOOM! ME MAKE THE BOOM BOOM!
Harry: This isn’t going to get us anywhere.
Aide: I’m afraid so.
Nancy: Thank you for the coffee
Aide: You welcome.
W: BOOM! BOOM! MAKE THE BOOM BOOM!
Aide presses intercom: Lenny, it’s me, Tell Bill to get the wig on, he’s gone again.

Ah evil twisted fantasies. Nice to have them back.

Been listening to Blue Oyster Cult these last couple of days – a guilty pleasure of mine, BOC was on of the few bands claimed Long Island as a home, it’s was like them, the Good Rats (who I wasn’t that fond of) and Billy Joel (and oh yes Twisted Sister). And that’s about it. I suppose the deal with New York so close if you want to do music you end up going to the city.

It’s also just the Island man, the bars that had live music featured cover bands – I remember Crystal Ship which was a Doors cover group had damn a gig every night. There was a old old club called My father’s place but that died long ago and they were more like the Bottom Line in featuring mid level national acts not local stuff.

Anyway BOC started of as the Stalk Forrest Group – they recorded an album under that name that was rejected by the record company I think Electra. Now while it is normally the duty of a fan to say bad bad record company I think in this case they had a point – the band sounds unfocused and it’s really not very good. The band regrouped and decided to ditch the Grateful Dead influences (always a good idea in my book – in general any band that cites the Grateful Dead as an influence plays self indulgent twaddle for hours – and any band that cites Kiss as an influence just sucks). And they changed their name to Blue Oyster Cult – taking their name from a song Lyric by Sandy Pearlman who was kind of a 6th or 7th member supplying lyrics and general mood direction

They struggled for a while until they got their break with Columbia which was looking for an American heavy metal band – Cult isn’t really metal but they are spooky enough.

At their best (aside from Don’t Fear the Reaper which is just pretty much all by itself in their catalogue wisely they never tried to duplicate it) they deal with emotional states that are so complex and twisted that words just break down. When they just try and be a rock and roll band and sing about snoggin’ they can be god awful. And they do songs about UFOs and Godzilla which are big pluses in my book.

As I said they are guilty pleasure – one I listen to when I’m in a down and confused mood – which pretty much describes me right – it’s combination of the shock about Virginia, the mess in Iraq, my job worries, and a few personal disappointments I’ll keep to myself thank you.

Started watching Year 2889 and had to stop for a bit – Larry Buchwhatever couldn’t direct a damn school play. The idea is that world war 3 with the Russians has just gone down and this house deep the country is safe from the fallout. After that people come wandering in all looking like maybe they have just had their car broken down (on guy is supposed to suffering from radiation but it looks more like a bad skin peel) rather than fleeing Armageddon. And just at the point I turned it off the camera flashed to guy in a straw cowboy hat, wearing overalls, beard and carrying a jug (on assumes of moonshine) who comes to the house and takes a swig as he watches one of the new arrivals a girl take off her shirt.

Great I thought – oldest cliché in the universe – drunk redneck gonna rape someone cause hell the first thing that would go through my mind during an atomic war would be the need to get drunk and rape someone.

I turned it off and watched an x-files episode about necrophilia – it felt cleaner.

Peace Love Agents of Fortune

Bogger hates pics for some reason - later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home