Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Choice Made - and this and that


I got this quote from http://www.digbysblog.blogspot.com/

“We are at a turning point in our history. There are two paths to choose. One is a path I've warned about tonight, the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure.”

That is from a speech given by Jimmy Carter on July 15, 1979 – looking back on the last 30 years it’s pretty obvious what path we chose.

Fragmentation and self interest pretty much describes the lay of the land these days yes?

Jimmy Carter had his problems, one of which was the naïve faith that if you laid out things for people they would make the right choices.

Yeah that worked didn’t it.

I don’t think it’s because we’re all stupid – we do manage to dress our selves in the morning and the like – and while there are some amazingly stupid people out there – I mean the president yesterday – my god. We’re not really that dumb.

What it is, I think, is that, in general people don’t use their brains until every other course of action has been tired – sometimes twice.

We in one of those moments right now were only thinking and hard work is going to save us – I’m not sure it will, we don’t have a good track record with this kind of thing – Look at Sicily – at one time it was covered with trees, and really at some point the folks there started to think “we’re cutting down too many trees” but if they did they never stopped. Are we going to figure out how get the energy to run this civilization before the wells run dry?
I hope so, I’m not very confident but I hope so.

Well enough gloom – we’ve got band rehearsal tonight for the first time in a while – I’ve missed them, really.

Did not watch the all star game last night – the coverage leading up to it was something like ‘Yankees, Yankees, house the Ruth built, Yankees, house the Ruth built, George, George, George, Yankees, oh yes all star game, Yankees” and there was no way I was going deal with that for the rest of the evening.

The Lucha Libre film finally arrived – I’ll have to see it tomorrow but that’s something to look forward too – haven’t seen a jaw droopingly strange film in a while.

Well things to do – the Batman film to look forward to first review I read said it was wall to wall amazing – hope they are right.

Peace, Love, Joker


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home