Friday, February 29, 2008

Waiting for the Plumber or someone like him


It’s been a miserable couple of days here at Bob Muir and the Enemy Below World Headquarters – I’ve been battling a bathroom that has decided it would rather be a lake or at the very least a pond – and while I am loathe to try and impede anything from becoming that which they really want to be – I can’t really have a pond were my bathroom is.

Anyway I spent yesterday and early this morning dealing with this (getting some 3 hours of sleep is that in the process) – professionals now are in charge so I have quite the field.

Problems with plumbing always bring back childhood memories – not good ones either – our plumbing stunk and it was always leaking – and when we were all in the house there wasn’t money to fix it so we had holes in the ceiling and leaks when you took a shower – so what you did was put buckets at the under the holes in the ceiling when you took a shower – what didn’t everyone? – what about using hot wheels tracks to guide the leak to a bucket when it wasn’t easy to get the bucket right underneath the hole in the ceiling? No? Or using pliers to turn the water on or off because the handles to the taps fell off? No eh?

It could be things like that – along with being without a car in the suburbs for three years that contributed to my sense of isolation from the rest of the world in those days. You never know.

Funny looking back I don’t find myself nostalgic for where I grew up at all – really not in the least misty eyed about the old place – or even the town far more at ease and for more me living in the city than I ever was in the subs.

Big doings here with the band – we’re going to be mastering the album tomorrow – and then with luck get it printed up and have a cd release party – with some killer bands and a few friends along – along with doing all sorts of publicity for the damn thing.

Watching of all things Wagner’s ring on DVD – taking a break from the foaming brain of bloody horror films for a bit to let me recover a bit – some of those films can do permanent damage. Sort of promised myself I’d do this and it’s easier on DVD than at the opera house – at home I can stop and get a snack or just go to sleep if things get too much for me.

The production is the centenary production form 1980 or so – it caused a lot of fuss when it came out for the costumes and setting which were modeled after 19th and 18th century garb – it looks a bit odd for Woden (German Odin) to be wearing a frock coat and carrying a spear but the winged helmets and breast plates look kind of silly as well so at least it’s a change.

One thing I can say is Wagner really could have used an editor or at least a co-writer for the words – already several times there are spots were he restates the action – which we’ve just seen – I don’t know maybe 19th century audiences didn’t pay attention but it can be annoying – to find yourself sitting there saying “yes I know we just saw this” as someone recounts the forging of the ring that the whole cycle revolves about.

More or less as time wears on.

Huge Billboard for Fox Business news channel outside my office these days – it’s a little creepy – all the featured newscasters are women all with the same steppford wife smile – but I have to do something – last I heard fox business news’s ratings were so low as to be in the public access channel range.

Later – things to do

Peace Love, let’s turn the acoustic down a bit eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home