Monday, September 25, 2006

Mondays and bad movies

A scattered day tired and shagged, and it's a Monday. I'm told there is a Hungarian saying "not even the grass grows on Monday."

Boy that feels true today.

Anyway the picture (that you can't see because Blogger hates pictures again) is that of the Monster Times No. 30 that was published back in 1974 when I was a very callow youth. It was their "Worst of" issue. In it they listed the worst comics ever (mostly they ragged on the Archie Comics group super heroes - forgettable fellows like "The Fly, The Black Hood, and I think that's Owl Man on the cover - I think he could talk to birds, like Hawkman could in the early 60's. To wander away from the topic, I have an odd affection for Hawkman. I don't know why, the only thing he can do is fly; he's pretty close to Aquaman in the Lame Super hero sweepstakes (which includes Ant Man and the Fly). Oh yes he uses ancient weapons. Which was weird - the silver age Hawkman was an alien who came to earth to fight crime. But instead of using a phaser or a mind control gem, or a flesh melting ray gun, Hawkman used things like swords and slings and spears. Thinking about it, if a person travels 50 billion light years just for a chance to whack someone in the face with a mace - he could give Batman a run for his money on anger issues.

But I digress.

In this issue, in what may have been the first list of its kind, the magazineo listed the 50 worst monster movies ever made (along with some 25 other runners up) and had a long long article on The Horror of Party Beach, which they said was not only may be the worst Monster Movie ever made, it could be the worst beach party movie ever made as well. And when I finally saw it I found myself agreeing. The monsters were absurd things that looked like they had eaten too many hot dogs at once and the party beach was a dreary grey wasteland that just looking at made you want to break out the anti-depressants. And nobody, but nobody could act - for most of the actors in this film "Horror of party Beach" is their only credit as listed in the IMBD - which is a damn good thing. The whole sloppy weird mess was one of my inspirations for writing "Bikini Zombies" (I figured hell I couldn't do any worse than this hunk of junk.)

But what I still remember my initial reaction to the list: "I have got to see these films". Which was not normal - I mean how many people view a list of rotten films as a to-do list? Still my life has never been the same, I've managed to see most of the films on the list - and other than I now start out each day with a hedious blood curlding scream, it hasn't affected me that much.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home