Friday, July 14, 2006

In the Studio - Recording sucks rockets


We finally got to into the studio and got the damn ep recorded – and it was not a heck of a lot of fun. The Enemy Below said even before we started told me how much he hates recording “I’m a live musician” he said, “I hate the studio. It’s never any fun”

I’m not that adverse to the studio – there are all those weird things you can do once you get the basic tracks set and getting the right mix and adding an effect here and there fascinate me. I would probably fiddle with a damn song until I broke it to be honest.

But I’m with the Enemy Below on one thing – laying down the tracks is sheer torture – playing or singing. It was better this time cause it was the two of us (Last time I was alone in the studio – that’s a lonely feeling) but still you don’t get that charge you get from being in front of an audience you don’t get the energy from them – you to bring it all yourself. Which is exhausting.

And when something goes wrong – you just want to shoot yourself.

What went wrong for us was right after we finished recording the music tracks for all the songs we find out the tape is defective and once every minute there is this hideous crackle when we play it back. An Hour and ½ of work done in by a tape. That feeling sucked rockets. You wanted to pull your head off, rather than get back into this little booth and do it all again

But we re-do the the music tracks and lay down the vocals. I was pissed and nervous and just well all over the map so I ended up yelling more than I wanted to – and louder as well.

But I think at least a few things went okay – “I’m sorry works” as well as Stacy and even “Some one else” works – almost.

So we mixed the whole mess down and got 5 songs to bring to our next gig. Once we get the cover and label done that is.

Pictures later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home